Heights Christian Church is searching for an interim or permanent part-time Director of Music. Interested parties, including music students or interns are encouraged to apply.
The Director of Music will serve as primary administrator of the music ministry of the church. He/She will be responsible for the planning, organizing, conducting, and evaluation of a comprehensive music ministry. He/She will provide variety in types of music presented, with contemporary music blended with traditional hymns. The purposes of the position are to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, and to provide direction, oversight and coordination of musical elements of worship services.
- Skills in leading worship through organ* and piano playing for choral and congregational singing, instrumental solo pieces and participation in a small worship band (church organ is a 3 manual Moeller pipe organ)
- Skills in instrumental and choral conducting and in worship planning in coordination with the pastor
- Openness to a wide variety of musical styles
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Clear concept of being an integral part of the ministerial team
- Ability to play and lead a choir simultaneously
- Plan, rehearse, direct the choir and perform the music for a blended service on Sunday morning
- In cooperation with the pastor, plan and implement the music for the worship service as well as special services and music events, e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, weddings, funerals
- Organize Sunday morning music during summer months for a volunteer choir
- Attend most meetings of the Worship Committee
- Maintain the music library
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule with reputable tuners for organ and pianos
- Order all music and music supplies for the Music Ministry
- Hire, direct and release paid soloists (two to four) and incidental instrumentalists
- Work within an annually approved music budget
- Practice sufficiently to maintain a high level of musicianship
- Network with other colleagues in the music community through such programs as the American Guild of Organists, ecumenical events, etc.
- The Music Director is accountable to the pastor as head of staff and to the Board of Trustees through its Personnel Committee.
Hours and Benefits
- Part-time position of approximately 15 hours per week (W-2)
- Salary as negotiated by the Board of Trustees
- One month vacation (four Sundays)
- Use of appropriate church facilities and equipment for private teaching
- The Director of Music is expected to work each Sunday at a worship service, currently at 10 a.m. This requires a commitment of approximately three hours from 9:00 a.m. (the choir meets at 9:30 a.m. for rehearsal) and one and one half hours during the summer months.
- The Director of Music must be available to lead choir practice at 7:30pm on Wednesday nights for one and one half hours and band rehearsal at 6:30pm two or three Wednesday evenings each month.
- The Director of Music shall procure substitutes at church expense for vacation, illness or death in the immediate family. Any other substitutes shall be procured at the Director’s expense.
Applicants should submit a resume either by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Heights Christian Church, 17300 Van Aken Blvd., Shaker Heights, OH 44120.
*Proficiency on the organ is preferred but not required for an interim position.