Director of Music (Part-Time Position)
Heights Christian Church, a small Protestant congregation in Shaker Heights, seeks a part-time Director of Music. Interested parties, including music students or interns are encouraged to apply.
The Director of Music will serve as primary administrator of the music ministry of the church. They will be responsible for the planning, organizing, conducting and evaluation of the music ministry. They will provide variety in types of music presented, with contemporary music blended with traditional hymns. The purposes of the position are to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, and to provide direction, oversight and coordination of musical elements of worship services.
- Skills in leading worship through piano and/or organ* playing for choral and congregational singing, instrumental solo pieces and participation in a small worship band
- Skills in instrumental and choral conducting and in worship planning in coordination with the pastor
- Openness to a wide variety of musical styles
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Clear concept of being an integral part of the ministerial team
- Ability to play and conduct simultaneously
- Agility to move from the chancel to balcony which includes navigating steps
- Plan, rehearse, coordinate vocalists and perform the music for a blended service on Sunday morning
- In cooperation with the pastor, plan and implement the music for the worship service as well as special services and music events, e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, weddings, funerals
- Attend staff meetings and Worship Committee meetings as needed/requested
- Maintain the music library
- Order all music and music supplies for the Music Ministry
- Hire, direct and release paid soloists and incidental instrumentalists
- Work within an annually approved music budget
- Practice sufficiently to maintain a high level of musicianship
- The Music Director is accountable to the pastor as head of staff and to the Board of Trustees through its Personnel Committee.
Hours and Benefits
- Part-time position of approximately 7 hours per week
- Salary as negotiated by the Board of Trustees
- One month vacation (four Sundays)
- The Director of Music is expected to work each Sunday at a worship service, currently at 11 a.m. This requires a commitment of approximately two hours from 10:00 a.m.
- The Director of Music will need to schedule and lead occasional music rehearsals
- The Director of Music shall procure substitutes at church expense for vacation, illness or death in the immediate family. Any other substitutes shall be procured at the Director’s expense.
Future Possible Responsibilities (could expand position in stages up to 15 hours/week with commensurate salary increases)
- Plan, rehearse, direct the choir, vocal ensembles and band and perform the music for a blended service on Sunday morning
- Schedule and lead choir practice on Wednesday night for one and one half hours and band rehearsal two or three Wednesday evenings each month immediately prior to choir rehearsal (beginning about 6:30 p.m.)
- Expand and adapt music program as post-pandemic situation requires (could include children/youth music program)
- Organize Sunday morning music during summer months for a volunteer choir
Applicants should submit a resume either by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Heights Christian Church, Attn: Music Search Committee, 2860 Coventry Rd., Shaker Heights, OH 44120.
Applications requested as soon as possible, but position is open until filled.
*Proficiency on the organ is preferred but not required.